Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Getting Back on Track

2008 was a tough year -- well, parts of it were. A year ago, in January 2008, I knew that when I took a pregnancy test in February it would come out positive. I braced myself for that, not so much having another child, as I'd always wanted four children, but the time table was all wrong. There was too much of an age gap, I was too old, yadda, yadda. That's a thought for another time, though. Anyway, I was sick. More sick than with any of the other kids. I was tired, too. I kept waiting for the second trimester because that was always the turning point, I always felt great once I got there. It didn't really ever come. I had moments of energy, of less aches and pains, but nothing that lasted long. As a result, my house fell into ruins. Just keeping up on basics was about all I could do. I'm the kind of person who feels good when I'm keeping up with my house. When I feel like it's running smoothly. Pregnancy has a way of throwing a wrench into your regular routines.

So now that recovery is over (I'm not sure which is worse the pregnancy or the recovery), the baby is getting a fairly predictable schedule. Most days. It was time to take the new year and get back on track. I got my calendar in order, downloaded my cleaning schedule. Yes, I have a cleaning schedule that I follow that helps me tackle little things every day, all year. I love being able to literally check things off. I'm even getting my weekly menu routine back.

Monday was the designated "Get Things Started" day. I managed to get 3 of the 4 bathrooms cleaned and did a little hand pump as I left the last one clean and sparkly. Check. Tuesday was a couple little things, like cleaning the light fixtures in the bathrooms. Check. Can I just say I get a little thrill in looking at those clean fixtures, the same thrill I get looking at the dusted fan blades. These little things are the ones I enjoy the most. I'm sure nobody else notices the cleaned middle shelf in the refridgerator, but everytime I open the door it makes me feel good to see it. Much like I enjoy the smell of the citus in the cleaner I used to clean the banisters.

So even though I'm only 7 days into the new year, I feel good. It feels good to think I'm getting back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment